Wednesday, October 19, 2011

halloween centerpiece

For any of you that have not yet had the pleasure of reading McSweeney's "It's Decorative Gourd Season, Motherf***ers" I now direct you to the satirical, hilarious, and season-appropriate article. Click here.

When I came across the write-up last month it was like a welcome message to Fall! Oddly enough, ever since reading about "an insanely ornate assortment of shellacked vegetables" I have been bugging Ross to let me get some gourds for our island or kitchen table. I'm not sure why I had this desire but it's all I was able to think about.

After being inspired by a DIY pin on Pinterest, I made it a point to sneak one little gourd into our cart during a shopping trip ;-) A few days later my pumpkin carving kit and vampire teeth arrived from Amazon. With that, I share my new little DIY halloween centerpiece.


I made this little guy buy cutting out a piece using a pumpkin knife... stuffing it with plastic vampire teeth... and popping in some red thumbtacks with a drop of black nail polish (mean eyes). And, VOILA!!

To measure the size for the hole, trace the vampire teeth on a piece of paper. Using the thumbtacks, tack the paper onto the gourd and carve around it. Remember, it's always easier to start with a smaller hole and cut away more pumpkin to fit the teeth.


This guy will definitely be making an appearance at my birthday party this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment